Monday, September 12, 2016

Up, Up, and Away


Hello, my name is Jaquelyn. I'm from Chicago, IL, USA and will be entering my third decade of life in one month. I am a BFA in Acting major at Northern Illinois University. This semester I will be studying abroad in Moscow, Russia. The plane I board this Friday will take me outside of the country for the first time. This will be the longest amount of time I've spent away from "home".

Since I began college two years ago, I've been becoming more accustomed to the life of a traveller. I have grown more courage and desire to travel alone. I am eager to cultivate "home" everywhere I go. Whether the trip is a walk to the local grocery store or a flight to another part of the country, I've come to discover that I am always a visitor. This way of thinking has offered me a feeling of freedom and belonging.

In preparation for Moscow, I've found myself exciting fears and dispelling them with simple truths.

There are humans in Russia. I am human. How convenient! When I arrive in the city, there will be buildings, streets, air to breathe...

I need not be afraid.

Beside fears, I am overwhelmed with fantasies, dreams, and anticipation. I'm basking in my final moments before departure... Saying, "Goodbye for now" as I pass trees, exit houses, kiss cheeks.
What a special time to be me.

Welcome to my beginning.

1 comment: